A New General Service List (1.01) includes the most important words for second language learners of English. It consists of 2801 words and covers about 90% of the English language. It is recommended for learning to all those for whom English is not their native language.
More details about NGSL can be found on the project website http://www.newgeneralservicelist.org.
Cards are the best tool for learning new English words because learning a new word requires repeation. The application is an electronic version of learning words by cards.
1. Each card has a word, transcription and definition.
2. Learned word can be removed from the list by clicking the Learned button. To see all words, including the learned ones, you should enable the Show learned words checkbox in the settings menu. Learned word can be returned to the learning list by clicking the Show again button.
3. If an English word is difficult to remember, it can be marked to appear more frequently by clicking the Show more button. To return the word to the normal mode, click the Show less button.
4. Cards can be browsed in two directions. The forward direction shows new words and the words marked for more frequent repetition. When all cards are viewed, a new cycle will begin. The backwards direction corresponds to the display history.
5. For the convenience of study, you can use sets of 20, 50 or 100 cards (the Cards in a set dropdown). To move between sets, use the Prev (previous set) and the Next (next set) buttons.
6. By default, the card order corresponds to the frequency order of words in the English language. This order can be changed by enabling the Shuffle cards checkbox in the settings menu. In this case, cards will be shuffled each time you select a new set.
If you like the app, please vote for it by asterisks.
Thank you. And good luck in learning new English words!